pakana / noun / Aboriginal Tasmanian
pakana services is an award winning non-for-profit social enterprise committed to providing Indigenous Tasmanian’s with the opportunity to develop working skills through natural resource management, agriculture and other industry sectors.
Established in 2013, all profits made through pakana services have been reinvested back into this locally owned and operated company, and as a result of all the hard work and success, the company has been able to provide placements to more than 20 Indigenous Tasmanian’s. Placements include training and mentoring to strengthen opportunity for long term employment.
Some of the work achieved through pakana services include:
- 30,000 trees planted
- 40,000 grasses planted
- Brush cutting of hundreds of hectares of land, protecting property and the environment (Fire abatement)
- Hundreds of hectares of weed control and eradication
- 200 tonne of domestic, industrial and vegetative waste removed
- 50 km of fencing installed to protect native vegetation
- Hundreds of cubic metres of marine debris removed from Tasmanian waterways
For information on the services we provide please click here
Acknowledgement of Traditional Owners
We acknowledge and pay respect to the Tasmanian Aboriginal people as the traditional and original owners, and continuing custodians of this land and acknowledge Elders – past and present.